Friday, January 13, 2012

I think about my mother every single day.
Almost three months ago, now.
I still feel like a bad daughter because I haven't called her yet today.
I got thinking about her upcoming memorial birthday party at my house.
Maybe I haven't really mourned.

I'm sure mourning tonight.

The memories are honestly getting sweeter.
But, tonight, for some reason, all the sadness, all the trauma came flooding back.
Hopefully, it means I am healing.

*************************************************

I took my hand off her heart when there was no more beating.
I stood there, holding her hand and talking to her until the nurse came.
I held her hand as Jann lowered the head of the bed so Mom could be comfortable.
As I helped the nurse roll her over,
I noticed the blood had already began to pool on her behind and the backs of her legs.
I watched helplessly, as her lifeless left hand slumped off her belly onto the bed
As I pulled her toward me.
I helped close her eyes.
I watched as the nurse closed her mouth.
I couldn't touch her mouth.
I helped put a clean gown and garments on her.
I helped Jann cover her with the quilt she made for Mom.
I took the ring from her finger
To be cherished as long as I live.

I stood by as the young men from the mortuary gently
Wrapped her in a sheet and laid her on the gurney,
Then covered her with a brocade quilt.
I stood on the porch, saddened by the idea that my
Mom was all alone in the hearse,
Driving away to spend the night in a refrigerator.

These memories are etched in my head for eternity.


And I wouldn't have changed one thing.

Not one.

I have consoled myself that as sad as I am to send my mother to the Spirit World,
My father is as happy to welcome her Home.
I'm not being selfish, Dad.

Well, maybe I am.

Oh, Mom, you are so loved and so missed.

Forever.

And ever.

1 comment:

Danica Yates said...

Thank you Deb. You're a beautiful person, and I want you to know how much I cherish what you write.