Monday, January 7, 2013

A Stroke!


Yep, this is me, the day I came home after spending SIX days in the hospital, two of which were in ICU! 

On New Year's Day, late in evening, Stan and I were just relaxing after the day's festivities, watching TV. Of course he fell asleep. I stood up from my chair and said, "Let's go to bed." 

Suddenly, my right arm and leg had a tingling sensation shoot downward. I knew immediately what it was, but since it didn't last, I thought I had just been sitting wrong, so I ignored it. I felt fine. I had knocked my keys onto the floor when I got up. I reached down to get them and could not hold onto them. But in a few seconds, I was able to grab them again and hold onto them. Stan went to bed, and I went into the computer room to surf some Facebook. 

After a while, I noticed that something just wasn't right. I felt like I couldn't collect my thoughts. I got up, went into the bedroom and called to Stan, who was fast asleep, "Stan, we better go to the hospital. I think something is wrong."

He immediately jumped out of bed. He knew something was definitely wrong. He told me later that I blabbered; nothing I was saying made any sense. That's how he knew. He wanted to call 911, but I said no, let's just get going. Dummy me!

Off we went. By the time we got into the car, I could talk. We spent about two hours in the ER. Both kids came up to be with me. Finally, the doc said he thought I just had a migraine and sent me home! He sent me home!

Later in the day, I got a really bad headache and was feeling unsteady. Stan called the doctor and told him what was going on. The doctor said to get me to the ER IMMEDIATELY! Off we went again.

By this time I was throwing up, luckily into a blanket that I had grabbed on the way out. I couldn't stop. Oh, I threw up in the car, in the hospital driveway, in the wheelchair, in the waiting room, in the exam room, everywhere! I was so sick! I just kept getting this black curtain around my head. At one point a nurse asked me if I knew my name. Dang. I couldn't remember who I was! Then I blacked out. Stan said I never lost consciousness, but I don't remember anything until much later, when I woke up in the ICU.

Six days, 2 MRI's, an EKG, oxygen therapy, blood test after blood test, They admitted that yes, it was definitely a stroke, but a mini-stroke, or TIA. There was no damage to my brain and no bleeding, but I had some residual effects like memory loss and balance that lasted for about three days. All my other tests had come back perfectly normal.

I felt so comforted by the Priesthood blessing I received, although I can't honestly say who gave it to me. I felt all the prayers and faith, and I'm sure they all had a hand in my recovery. 

I could've died.

You know what one of biggest fears was? 

Losing my ability to play the piano!

No comments: