Friday, March 27, 2009

Finding Joy in the Journey

'Finding Joy in the Journey'

From a talk I gave in Sacrament Meeting

-->
"The greatest lessons we are to learn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey – now.” Thomas S. Monson
Often times as a young mother, I became focused on all the things that “needed” to be done. The laundry, the making of the beds, the meals, the shopping, and don’t forget the ever-present dishes! I have always been a little more playful than responsible, but I thought that other people would judge me for having a less-than-perfect home. President Monson says, “If you have children who are grown and gone, in all likelihood you have occasionally felt pangs of loss and the recognition that you didn’t appreciate that time of life as much as you should have.”
I have often felt that exact way. I remember one particular time when I just HAD to clean out the refrigerator. My then three-year-old son was lonely because his sister was in school. He kept whining and bugging me to pick him up. I resisted and ended up getting angry at him and making him go take a nap, because I had an “important” job to do. Now I realize that HE was my important job. That certainly is not the only incident I could relate. I DO feel those pangs of guilt and remorse for not making Tyler the most important chore of the day.
For a while, I was obsessed with all the smudges, marks, and dents that plagued our newly remodeled house. I frustrated over the strewn clothing, shoes, and backpacks. I stressed over the unbelievable amount of laundry two kids could create. Now? Sometimes I would love to have a tiny little hand print on my newly cleaned sliding door; some baby toys strewn about the family room. And as the Prophet said in his talk, I “miss them profoundly”.
I find comfort in the fact that my kids don’t remember our home being neat and orderly. What they remember is the long car rides where they had Mom’s undivided attention, driving the car in the Church parking lot, wrestling on the unmade bed, lying on the floor and coloring, doing donuts in the snow with the car. Says President Monson, “Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows.”

--> -->
When you are truly grateful for something, you find more joy in it. Our lives, our children, our trials, our sorrows, all are a gift from our Heavenly Father. The Lord gave Joseph Smith a revelation about gratitude. He said, “In nothing doth man offend God, or against none is His wrath kindled, save those who confess not His hand in all things.” D & C 59:21
Recall the story of the ten lepers. When the lepers saw the Savior, they called out to Him, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.” Jesus told them to go show themselves to the Priests. When they obeyed Him, they were healed. Only ONE of the lepers came back to show his gratitude to Jesus for the gift he had been given. He gave glory to God for the blessing at the feet of Jesus Christ. Luke 17:12–18
I want to be that 10%! I want to show God that I am thankful for ALL my blessings, even if I don’t feel like they are blessings!

President Monson asked us to live with gratitude in our hearts and fill our days, as much as we can, with those things which matter most. He asked us to cherish those we hold dear and express our love to them in word and in deed. He also asked us to show gratitude for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He said, "Let us follow Him. Let us emulate His example. Let us obey His word. By so doing, we give to Him the divine gift of gratitude.".

-->

7 comments:

Lindsay Jones said...

Thanks for sharing that. I really needed a reminder today. What a constant balancing act life is! I bet your talk was amazing!

Jenny said...

AMAZING TALK!! Thanks for the little inspiration for today.

BJ and Steph said...

Debby-

That was a great talk. It reminded me of some things that I need to work on as a mother...and I appreciate that.

Love, Steph

Rylie said...

What a great talk Auntie Debbie. I have come to realize that I will never take one second for granted, with our next children. You never know when they will be grown up, or when they are gone. Thank you for your reminder of not letting the "have to" things take over our lives.

Love you!

Rylie

Shawnee said...

That was an awesome talk! Thanks for sharing. It gave me some great insight in becoming a good mother.

Preston and Keri said...

That really was a great talk mom!!! It is a good reminder to me because as you know, I too worry about the little things. If I could be half the mom you are my kids would be the luckiest kiddos alive!!
LOVE YOU!!!

Jane of Seagull Fountain said...

Deb -- Thanks again for sharing your awesome talk!